11.22.2009

Basement: Studio

As you all know (maybe...maybe not...but now you do!), I love pottery. Last year, I took the plunge and bought myself a used wheel and kiln. They were previously owned by a little old lady who bought them brand new, so needless to say, they were well taken care of.  I was able to start making things before we sold our house in Scappoose, but was never able to fire anything.  When we moved in with Dad and Mom H, they were stored away (along with all my unfired work).  It wasn't until recently that I claimed my part of the basement to set them up, clean them up, and get them ready for use again!  I'm super excited to start practicing again!!

I love making ("throwing") pots on my humble little wheel. Ain't she a cutie!! She is SO old-school, and not as fast as her brand-new brothers and sisters, but I love her!



Here's my other bestie, my kiln - Mr. Kilny. I haven't used him yet - and to be quite honest I'm a little bit afraid to use him. BUT I went to Georgies on Saturday and talked to the super nice experts there and feel a little better about the whole thing. My first firing will be quite an experience (and hopefully Mr. Kilny doesn't fail me), I am sure!



At Georgies, I bought some new pyrometric cones. I had to get junior cones (for the kiln-sitter) and senior (or "witness") cones. These bad boys help me monitor the temperature my kiln is at. If you REALLY want to know more about the whole cone/firing process, go here to get schooled.



I also bought 25 pounds of clay. Really, that is not a lot, even though it sounds like a lot.  Depending on what you make, you can make a lot or a little with 25 pounds. I buy a clay called "Trail Mix".  One of these days, I'm going to try out the red version of this clay - that will be fun!



Because I had to transport my work UNFIRED from our old house to Dad and Mom H's house, to our new house, I knew that I would lose some pieces...and I did.  When you make something out of clay and let it dry out completely, it's called "bone dry" - which is clay's most fragile state.  It is so brittle I'm surprised only these three things didn't make it.  One other bowl - the biggest one I've made yet - had a little piece of the rim broken off, but I'm keeping it. Here are my casualties:



But never fear! Here's everything else that is waiting for Mr. Kilny to be cleaned, plugged in, and fired! (Look at those sparkly counter tops!! I cleaned them up a bit. They don't sparkle, but they aren't as bad as they were!)



And, for a final parting shot, my pottery studio as I left it tonight. I am really excited to begin working again and firing and glazing and firing again! If I get REALLY good, I'm going to sell things on the Neatest Site ever in the HISTORY of the WHOLE WORLD - Etsy.  It's an all handmade goods site. There is tons of pottery, jewelry, knit goods, clothing, art, etc. - check it out!



It's pretty uninspiring right now, but I hope to change that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? We'd love to hear them!