6.21.2010

Washington DC - Sunday

Hi all!

I am back from my week long trip to Washington DC.  I went there for a work conference, but decided to go early so I could do a little sight seeing, as it was my first time on the east coast and to DC.  I'm so glad I did!!  It was beautiful, safe, fun and very historic (go figure!).

Here's a bit of show-and-tell for you...

On Sunday, I spent the day sight seeing by myself. It was hot and humid - I felt like I was walking around in a sauna.


This building is one of my favorites - the National Gallery of Art. Seriously, check out those columns!!


I spent well over two hours there. It was beautiful. I had to take my picture in front of the column...they were just so big!


In the center of the building was this...


Again, beautiful! (I found myself saying that every 5 minutes... "beautiful!")

My next stop was the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History...I had to check out the Hope Diamond (sorry, no picture of it!!).


I also saw the original Smithsonian Museum, which is now called the "castle"...I bet you can tell why:


The statue is of Mr. Smithson, the founder of the Smithsonian.


I also went to the Museum of American History and spent a LOT of time there (my favorite museum after the National Gallery of Art).  One of the most moving things I saw was the Star Spangled Banner - our country's first flag.


The people off to the right were in line to get in to the exhibit (sorry, no picture - photography not allowed).

The national mall is over 2 miles long and I was kinda in the middle of it on Sunday. I could see the Capitol building...


And the Washington Monument...


Which stand 555 5/8 feet tall!

To get to DC from Alexandria (which is where I was saying), I took the subway - the Metro.  It was super clean and safe and really easy to use.


I'll post more pictures of my other sight seeing days soon, but I hope you enjoyed some of my pictures from DC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? We'd love to hear them!